How are diabetes and mental health connected?
Diabetes is a life-long condition thatrequires daily management. A positive outlook and good mental health can make living with diabetes easier.
But it’s a two-way street.
Diabetes is a chronic illness and can cause patients to feel overwhelmed, lonely and exhausted at times. Poor mental health will result in failure to properly manage diabetes.
Here are seven ways mental health and diabetes are connected:
- 70% of people with diabetes who have depression are not properly diagnosed or being treated.
- People with diabetes have an increased likelihood of developing anxiety disorders.
- Stress can affect the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- When you’re under stress your blood sugar level can increase.
- Stress hormones can directly affect glucose levels.
- People with diabetes are 20% more likely to experience anxiety than those without.
- Work-related stress can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes by 45%
You will have bad days, but remember you are stronger than diabetes.
If you think your mental health is affecting your ability to manage diabetes, talk to a medical professional. Help is available and you are not alone: 702-9310